Skip to main content

Brush Lettering

One of the new things I've been wanting to try for a while is brush lettering (or calligraphy?). I took calligraphy in high school and I really enjoyed it. I hadn't thought about it again until recently when three things happened:
  1. Awesome videos on Instagram. If I'm being honest, these videos convinced me that I needed to try. I'm just mesmerized by the different styles, color and creativity.
  2. Thank you notes. I include a thank you note with every order I send out from my Etsy shop. I think it would be fun to have hand-lettered thank you notes rather than trying to decide between 100 different styles at Target.
  3. I am getting married next year (!!!) and I love the look of hand-lettered envelopes for invitations... this one is a stretch, I know.
So, to get started, I bought a Lettering for Beginners (that's me!) book and Tombow brush pens. Also, I learned on Pinterest that there are a lot of resources for free, printable lettering practice sheets. Tombow actually offers some so I printed those out because they go with my pens, duh!


Starting is always hard for me so I just jumped in. Thankfully, the Tombow lettering sheets start with straight lines-- I can handle those.


A few things I learned:
  • The brush pens take a little breaking-in. When I started, it seemed like no matter how hard I pushed down, my pen strokes weren't quite wide enough. Also, they seemed to "stick" (for lack of a better word) to the paper so my strokes weren't smooth. Both of those issues seemed to resolve themselves after a few letters.
  • Don't think too much. I found I did much better when I didn't try so hard and just wrote the dang letter.
  • Take your time. It's tempting to rush through the letter to get to the next one, but my letters always looked worse when I didn't slow down and take time to do each stroke right.
  • Some letters are way more difficult thank others. I wonder if everyone struggles with the same letters? For some reason P was really hard for me. I LOVE B and H though!
I couldn't resist trying to write full words before finishing the practice sheets. I thought I'd start practicing for my thank you cards. Obviously, I need to practice a lot more. Don't judge too hard...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modern Floral Watercolor 5

I got a new handmade watercolor pallet from Designs by Rachel Beth on Etsy and I couldn't wait to try it. I'm pretty excited about how this one turned out-- especially the yellow rose shape. That one didn't turn out so great the last time I tried it. I think using a smaller brush helped.

I Did It!

This post has nothing to do with painting of any kind, but something much more important, to me at least. It is my biggest accomplishment thus far and I wanted to write down my thoughts and feelings, while I still have them. I graduated from college yesterday. I spent the last five years attending Westminster College and yesterday was a day that I wasn't sure would ever come. I majored in Aviation: Flight Operations and spent much of my time at the airport, flying airplanes. I haven't flown in a while but I think I ended up with about 350 hours. I earned my private, instrument, commercial, and multi-engine ratings. Toward the end of my education, I decided that flying probably isn't for me. This change of heart was a result of many things, but most of all because my eyes were opened to all the other opportunities in the aviation industry. There is a place for me out there, somewhere. I just need to find it. I was originally pursuing an art minor, which is why it took me

White Poinsettia

I love painting poinsettias. It's a rather simple flower and the layers and shadows make it a lot of fun to paint. I have painted a few red poinsettias, but never any white. I've always been intimidated by the white ones-- until now! It turns out they're not that hard to paint at all. I especially had fun with different tones of white in this one.