Skip to main content

Art Journal: Doodle #13

This one is another great idea from Elise at Grow Creative. She uses stencils with her watercolors. I would have thought that it would have just made a big mess and that the water would seep under the stencil, but that's not the case!

I got these Martha Stewart stencils at the craft store and I really think they are perfect for this technique. They are adhesive, so you don't have to worry about holding the stencil down tight. And you can just leave it in place until the paint dries so you don't have to worry about the paint smudging. I thought that the adhesive would wear off, but it didn't at all. I even rinsed it off in the sink, dried it with a paper towel, got paper towel stuck all over the back of it, re-rinsed it in the sink, and it is still as sticky as when I pulled it off the plastic. I got the flower set and I'm thinking about going back for another.

My first project was a field of poppies, because I love them so much and there just happened to be a poppy-looking stencil in the set.


I just rotated the stencil to make all the flowers look less uniform and I used a black felt-tip pen to do the center of all the flowers.

Comments

  1. For a girl who never wanted anything with flowers on it, when you were younger, you sure paint a lot of flowers! These are beautiful! And, I love that you paint flowers! I just remember when you were younger, I could never get you to wear anything that had a flower on it or a flower print!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just because I like flowers doesn't mean that I should want to wear them on my clothes... I still don't wear anything with flowers on it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Did It!

This post has nothing to do with painting of any kind, but something much more important, to me at least. It is my biggest accomplishment thus far and I wanted to write down my thoughts and feelings, while I still have them. I graduated from college yesterday. I spent the last five years attending Westminster College and yesterday was a day that I wasn't sure would ever come. I majored in Aviation: Flight Operations and spent much of my time at the airport, flying airplanes. I haven't flown in a while but I think I ended up with about 350 hours. I earned my private, instrument, commercial, and multi-engine ratings. Toward the end of my education, I decided that flying probably isn't for me. This change of heart was a result of many things, but most of all because my eyes were opened to all the other opportunities in the aviation industry. There is a place for me out there, somewhere. I just need to find it. I was originally pursuing an art minor, which is why it took me...

Finally Finished Poppies

The poppies are finally finished. I am pretty happy with the way they turned out but as usual there are a few things that I wish I could have done better. I may tweak it here and there in a while, when I can look at it with fresh eyes. It's hard to tell what it needs when I have been staring at it for a long time. Two things I learned while painting the poppies: 1: Orange is easy to work with. It lifts quite well. 2: I need to work on my shadows. Hopefully I'll get some more practice with another poppy painting. Here is the finished painting:

Back to Business

I've been off on a tangent for the past few months, with my art journal and experiments. I've had a lot of fun and learned that I can be more creative and less analytical when I paint. Painting started to become stressful because I was so concerned with doing it right. Trying something new has taught me that there is no right or wrong, just fun. With that said, I am ready to start doing some more serious paintings. The first is from a "Country Home" magazine cover (photo found on Pinterest, of course). I really loved the colors in this photo, and the feelings of "country" that it actually evoked in me. I am not a big fan of "country" anything, but something about it relaxes me-- country music and country style, not really sure why. So, here is the painting that I will be working on for a while: (really faint drawing) background I'll still be doodling in my art journal and trying new things, but I would like to focus more on se...