Skip to main content

A Tree with Roots

I got a little carried away with the details on this tree. When I started, I made the top part too small for the trunk and ended up having to fill it out to make it look right. As a result, the leaves got much more detailed-- which I like a lot. I added some simple roots for interest.

6"x9"
For this tree, I used Cadmium Yellow Hue, Cobalt Blue, and a little Lemon Yellow Hue. I also painted the trunk with Cobalt Blue first and added a layer of Dark Brown over the top-- just for a little dimension. I really like how the yellow of the tree bleeds down into the branches, too.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Modern Floral Watercolor 5

I got a new handmade watercolor pallet from Designs by Rachel Beth on Etsy and I couldn't wait to try it. I'm pretty excited about how this one turned out-- especially the yellow rose shape. That one didn't turn out so great the last time I tried it. I think using a smaller brush helped.

Painting With Straws

I found this  link to an awesome blog on Pinterest: Grow Creative . She has lots of fun ideas for watercolors and I am going to try a few. One of them was blowing paint with straws. I remember doing this is elementary school, but forgot all about it until I saw it on Pinterest (where I found her blog). Of course I had to try it again. Here are the results: Fun! I'll definitely be doing this again when I get bored and don't know what to paint. I would suggest taking breaks often while doing this...I definitely got a little light-headed. Blowing through a straw is harder than you might think... Toby was very interested in what I was doing when I was working on these...

White Poinsettia

I love painting poinsettias. It's a rather simple flower and the layers and shadows make it a lot of fun to paint. I have painted a few red poinsettias, but never any white. I've always been intimidated by the white ones-- until now! It turns out they're not that hard to paint at all. I especially had fun with different tones of white in this one.