Skip to main content

Poplar Tree

I had fun experimenting with color and now it's time to experiment with shape. There are these trees here in Utah that are tall and slender. In the fall, they turn a brilliant shade of yellow. I googled "tall skinny trees Utah" and apparently these trees are called Theves Poplar. It is hard to imagine different tree shapes in the winter when they are all bare, but this is one of my favorites so it's hard to forget. The colors I used in this one are: Cadmium Yellow Hue, Lemon Yellow Hue (just a touch at the top) and Cobalt Blue

6"x9"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modern Floral Watercolor 5

I got a new handmade watercolor pallet from Designs by Rachel Beth on Etsy and I couldn't wait to try it. I'm pretty excited about how this one turned out-- especially the yellow rose shape. That one didn't turn out so great the last time I tried it. I think using a smaller brush helped.

Painting With Straws

I found this  link to an awesome blog on Pinterest: Grow Creative . She has lots of fun ideas for watercolors and I am going to try a few. One of them was blowing paint with straws. I remember doing this is elementary school, but forgot all about it until I saw it on Pinterest (where I found her blog). Of course I had to try it again. Here are the results: Fun! I'll definitely be doing this again when I get bored and don't know what to paint. I would suggest taking breaks often while doing this...I definitely got a little light-headed. Blowing through a straw is harder than you might think... Toby was very interested in what I was doing when I was working on these...

White Poinsettia

I love painting poinsettias. It's a rather simple flower and the layers and shadows make it a lot of fun to paint. I have painted a few red poinsettias, but never any white. I've always been intimidated by the white ones-- until now! It turns out they're not that hard to paint at all. I especially had fun with different tones of white in this one.